Thursday, February 17, 2011

Naps


“You need to pick yo afro daddy,
Because its flat on one side.
You need to
Pick yo afro daddy.
Because its flat on one side.
Well, if you don’t pick yo afro,
You gonna have one side high.
You are going to have one side high
If you don’t adjust your sight
Acknowledge the right
For me to embrace me
I see you
 Checking me out
You notice that I’m beyond their eyes
Their boxed in lies
As real as they come
Because I’ve got no lye
Addicted to that oh so creamy crack
So good that it burns through ya insides
Pre processed
Overly obsessed
Sodium Hydroxide
Seeped through ya mind
Fried, dyed, laid to the side
And your less than 30 minutes away
From results of becoming
Smarter
Brighter
A little bit whiter
They cannot brainwash you
If you’re already doing it to yourself
Side effects may vary but they all imply
That
I will never be taken seriously
The words I perceive that far less worth
To your superiority
The genius I conceive will never be enough
As long as I don’t conform to the
West European ethnocentricity
Because my hair has too much of
Its own identity
The versatility is endless
With each strand is minding its own
Business.
And
He will never be into her
As long as she has an afro
honestly black men don’t dig the natural
so
She either has to find a pressing comb, flat iron
Or some Dark and Lovely
So much so that she starts to hate herself
Hides her roots on the monthly
Until her hair is as frail and submissive
As her spirit
Is losing yourself really worth it?
Its an unattractive fact
My daughter will constantly
Be told that
She’s not good enough when
Even straight hair comes on
Her black Barbie dolls
Mommy, is there something wrong?
I mean, am I ugly?
They imply that
I’ve got hair thicker than the
Societal comb will ever be able to
Get through
Detangle
All its kinks
It must be straightened out
Along with the way I think
Seem impossible
But your teeth are too narrow
With each twisted strand
Holds a little more knowledge
And the kind of realities
That they don’t teach in college
We’ve all got to acknowledge
That it all started
With the root
No matter how hard you try to hide it
So remains the truth
Whether it curls, coils, stick out straight
kinks
Potent and inevitable
It will always be.
“If you don’t pick your afro,
You gonna have one side high”

No comments:

Post a Comment