Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Sesame Street:Song: I Love My Hair

I wish they had this when I was growing up. The road to self acceptance would have been a little less rocky. "I Love My Hair" :)




There were quite a few comments surrounding the initial broadcast of this video. Strange enough, the bulk of the negative buzz came from the Black  community. Viewers claimed that the video was racist, saying "that why does the black puppet had to have an afro/cornrows/braids ect." However, I strongly believe that those who spewed this negative comments weird simply ignorant not only to the true definition of racism, but also the perspective the segment who trying to bring to young Black girls.

Racism is defined as a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that ones own race is superior and has the right to rule others. It is a certain hatred or intolerance of another race or other races. When viewing this video, I strongly believe that there was no sense of hatred or intolerance toward the black race whatsoever. Nor is it saying that another race is superior to the black race in any form.

The purpose of I Love My Hair, is to give young Black girls a positive view of their hair (in its natural state). Children these days can easily feel as though their hair as not "good" especially sense mainstream media has broadcast things. What texture is every little girl's Barbie doll? Exactly. So why should there not be a Sesame Street puppet with an afro making our Black girls feel good about themselves? Who else will tell them that they are beautiful if their parents are constantly referring to their children's hair as "nappy" and "unmanageble?"

Hmm, maybe instead of being so quick to judge, you should really step back and absorb the message this segment was trying to convey.

No comments:

Post a Comment